Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Brief History

For many years my crafty obsessions have revolved around beadwork. Below are some examples of my work.
Clutch purse woven in the Peyote style using 11/0 Delica beads.











Necklace and earrings in a lace weave using 11/0 Czech beads.










Lariat in a spiral weave using 11/0 Czech beads and pearls.










Eventually, and after many years admittedly, the came a time when the challenge diminished. I'd learned and mastered all the techniques that interested me and was making jewelry and beadwork designs that constantly garnered compliments and statements of amazement. Hmm. Modest, aren't I? :-) I began to look for more challenging ways to play with beads and at the same time, enviously watched friends as they worked the gorgeous yarns available today.

Finally, I decided that I could try working yarn. I would have a BIG learning curve since I'd never tried knitting or crochet before. And which one? A-Tinkering I shall go. Off to the craft store, for me that's Total Crafts, to peruse the available instruction guides and materials at cheap side. While tinkering I decided that I preferred to pursue, at least initially, KNITTING. The loop is on a needle. no need to search for it. Learned my cast on, my knit stitch, my purl stitch, make some swatches, and then tackled a scarf. That was okay. Tried some nicer yarn and WHAM bang-o I was hooked! So far I've only done scarves. Here's a few.


Likey the lacey!

No comments: